What is the Course About?
The Parks Back care Class is about PEAR
[Prevention of back pain through Empowerment, Action, and Relaxation]
We aim to help you understand and manage back pain by focusing on prevention, management, maintaining and restoring your everyday function at work and at home. The course will help you understand your pain and the reasons for it and will provide you with some basic skills and strategies that can help you to manage your condition, improve your quality of life, improving and aiding function.
Is the course for you?
- Do you suffer from back pain?
- Do you live with the worry that you cannot do things that you want to because you fear your back will give you pain?
Did you know?
- Back pain affects 4 out of 5 adults at some stage in their lives [Back Care, 2008]
- In 2003/4 alone led to the loss of some 4.9 million working days. This means that on any one day, 1% of the UK working population was on sickness leave due to back pain [HSE, 2005].
- It is the number 2 reason for long term sickness in the UK [DWP, 2002]
- The estimate cost in terms of health care is £1.6bn a year [Back Care, 2008] and the estimated annual cost to the UK economy is £5bn [Waddell et al, 2002]
At Parks Therapy Centre, we recognise that back pain can be a long-term condition that affects every facet of your life, but we also believe that you can change the impact it is has day to day at work and at home.
There is strong evidence to show that self-management education is an effective and long lasting method of helping people to manage and live with long-term conditions. Self-management education aims to empower you to take active control of your condition and teaches you to apply problem-solving strategies to meet the challenges that your condition raises [BMA, 2008]. In this way we hope that we can help you to reduce your reliance on doctors, therapists and medication [DoH, 2005] and prevent you from becoming part of the statistics outlined above.
If you are interested in more details of the course content and structure, and how to apply for the course, please ask at Reception.
|Back Care  Key facts about musculoskeletal conditions [MSCs]||http://www.backcare.org.uk|
|BMA Improved self-care by people with long-term conditions through self-management education programmes.||www.bma.org.uk/ap.nsf/Content/selfmanagementpolicy|
|DoH  Self Care A real choice||www.dh.gov.uk/SelfCare www.dh.gov.uk/SelfCare|
|Waddell, G: Aylward, M.; Sawney, P.  Back Pain, incapacity for work and social security benefits; an international literature review and analysis||www.dwp.gov.uk/medical/hot topics/hot4.asp|